Saturday, May 09, 2009

The EuropeCrazy Holiday Hit List: Dusseldorf 2009

It's not too different from home...

My playlist is based on watching Viva (thank goodness for this channel, as MTV Germany seems to be like our MTV, with constant reruns of 'The Hills' etc in favour of actual music)

Poker Face - Lady GaGa: the international nature of the pop hit these days means that you're never too far away from the GaGa....

Stadt - Cassandra Steen/Adel Tawil: I don't know anything about her, but he's the Ich & Ich/Prison Break theme guy with the very distinctive voice. This is quite a nice little mid-paced pop number.

Jai Ho (You Are My Destiny) - AR Rahman/Pussycat Dolls: it may be a Slumdog-rip-off, but it's arguably the best thing PCD have ever done.

Love Sex Magic - Ciara & Justin Timberlake: this is no favourite of mine by any means, as it's possibly the worst example of conveyer-belt r'n'b as I can think of - but I've mentioned it here purely because it was played to death....

Boom Boom Pow - Black Eyed Peas: as a former BEP fan (who even went to see them live a couple of years ago) I'm really disappointed in this - but I had to mention this here purely due to the amount of airplay this got on Viva.

Ayo Technology - Milow: there's no doubt that this is an inventive reinvention of the song - watch this become the next big pan-European hit - but the video is maybe just a bit unsettling at times.

Played to death category: Pink/Kelly Clarkson/Ashley Tisdale/Kid Cudi.

"Walking On Air" - Kerli: is this the same Kerli who did MF a few years ago? Estonian Kerli?

"We Made You" - Eminem: not quite past glories but it's good to have him back I guess.

"When It Was Good" - Flipsyde: I will stick my neck out and dare to suggest that this will be one of the biggest pan-European hits of the coming months. Watch this space.

No comments: