Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I guess that's why they call it the (winter) blues.

As you know I don't like using this blog to write about serious life/work stuff when I get much more fun writing about the things that take me away from all that. I like to think of this blog as quite an upbeat positive place to hang out so you may be surprised to learn that I do in fact suffer from a syndrome called "Seasonal Affective Disorder", better known as "SAD" which is probably a good description as that's how you feel for quite a lot of the time.

I thought I'd escaped it this year, but I seem to have been dragged down by it once again and over the last week or so have reached a point when it becomes very difficult to function normally from day to day. The hardest thing is actually telling people what's wrong - especially your loved ones, who have all their own worries and issues to deal with - but once you actually do it's like a kind of release, at least it was for me. It will get better, it always does. I would also recommend a "lightbox", it's great therapy, particularly if you are denied the luxury of natural daylight in your daily working environment (!)

Sorry to get a bit heavy tonight but I had to get that out of the way. Anyway I've got a day off work tomorrow to look forward to, in which I will be hanging out with my faithful travelling companion, having lunch and doing a bit of "retail therapy" no doubt.

Despite feeling like this at the moment I still love blogging and also reading everyone else's blogs. Discovering more and more of them and they are all rather wonderful in their own way. I'm off to sleep now, and the positive vibe will be resumed on here tomorrow night. Sweet dreams! x

2 comments:

AcerBen said...

I know how you feel.. I hate the winter! But the weather is starting to turn. It's been lovely and sunny the last few days - I think spring is on the way! Be positive! :)

Poster Girl said...

You've got my best wishes, and I'm sure of all your readers as well...just take it day by day but remember too that it's already mid-February--there's not too much real winter left.

Sending you a virtual hug!

-PG