Friday, March 27, 2009

This week's playlist: seven days later I'm messed up and nowhere to be found

(One week on from the release of "Astronaut", and I've still got it on constant repeat at EuropeCrazy HQ but I've decided to limit Salem's songs to a maximum of five per week on the playlist - need to get some other songs on it too ha ha!!)

"Cold Shower" - Salem: stunning opening track to the new album which just seems to get better with every listen. Clever call-and-response lyrics wrapped up in a confident and intelligent musical arrangement.

"One of the Others" - Salem: still my favourite on the new album - a perfect example of timeless songwriting. A totally amazing song.

"Astronaut" - Salem: the current single, but it seems to make even more sense on the album. Becomes more lovely everytime I hear it.

"Brooklyn Sun" - Salem: a beautiful, new, unreleased song performed live last weekend at Bengans in Stockholm. I'm not sure how long it will be around on YouTube so check it out while you still can.

"Roxy" - Salem: coincidentally I am actually listening to this song right this minute. The more I hear it, the more it screams "international hit", it's such a fun song you can't help singing along with it.

"Jai Ho" - AR Rahman & the Pussycat Dolls: with "Slumdog Millionaire" mania still going, the PCDs go for a quick and very catchy cash-in.

"I'm Not Alone" - Calvin Harris: I still think this will be a massive hit, although so far my (dull) local radio station is ignoring it. Poor old Calvin's not too well at the moment - hope you get better soon!

"Shake It" - Metro Station: there is probably something deeply wrong in liking this because it has a member of the Cyrus family on it, but I do find it terribly catchy, against my better judgement.

"Forever" - Måns Zelmerlöw: rejoice, for the album is out, and I will be buying it when I go over to Sweden in three weeks. This is like Basshunter's "All I Ever Wanted" wrapped up in pure Måns-tastic-ness.

"Tingeling" (about 40 versions of this at the moment, any one will do). Yes I know it's wrong, but as the great Kanye West once said ...."I can't get much wronger".

4 comments:

kevin (ru) said...

"One of the Others" is my favourite, too!

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

Hi Kevin!

Glad you like "One Of The Others", it's a fantastic song and it's already my favourite song of this year.

Tom said...

bengans is in göteborg my friend

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

Hi Tom,

There is also a branch of Bengans in Stockholm - I was there a couple of years ago when I visited Stockholm. :)

The clips on YouTube of Salem singing "Brooklyn Sun" which I referred to were recorded in Stockholm. (Although he may have sang the song in Gothenburg too).