Friday, July 08, 2011

The Playlist: June 2011

(I haven't been able to blog for the past couple of weeks due to some personal stuff but normal service will now be resumed! But firstly, a couple of posts from last month.)

Here's what I was listening to in June...

Solid Ground - Pnau: smooth, breezy pop from Nick Littlemore's band, and sharing the same irresistible musical characteristics as Empire of the Sun - which he was once a part of.
Judas - Lady Gaga: the critics are already airbrushing this one from Gaga history, but it became a Friday night favourite at EuropeCrazy HQ. Now that is an honour.
Call Your Girlfriend - Robyn: more exquisite high quality electropop from the queen of ....high quality electropop.
Battles (Of The Mind) - Kula Shaker: a long forgotten song from a few years ago, which I only rediscovered again recently and it reminded me just how much I liked them. Very 60s influenced.
Kärlekens Tunga - September: her own unique take on the Eldkvarn song, done in her own inimitable style.
Higher - Taio Cruz featuring Kylie Minogue: one of the year's most enduring pop songs, and a cert for a good placing in my year end chart.
Like Suicide - Christian Walz: another one which I can't stop playing, and which (along with "Me and My Drum") was my favourite MF 2011 song.
Rabiosa - Shakira featuring Pitbull: it's catchy, it's silly, it's fun and it's summer. And we'll even forgive her for having Pitbull on it.

We are over halfway through the year (it's flying by, isn't it!) and I've started thinking about my year-end chart. The way things are going, I'm going to struggle to put together a top 50 this year. Or even a top 30, come to that. I need to go back to basics, to the early days of this blog, when I did the work and went looking for the music which I wanted to hear, rather than expect it to fall into my lap. I'm going to put more work into this blog in the coming months and hopefully that will bring some much-needed musical rewards.

No comments: