Monday, July 16, 2007

Salem Al Fakir: our new favourite singer

How did we manage to let him slip through the EuropeCrazy net? Until Saturday night I had never heard of Salem Al Fakir, and now I realise what I'd been missing.

He was one of the stars in Princess Victoria's 30th birthday concert and blew me away. Do you ever see or hear a performer or band and think, "wow, there's something special happening here?" It doesn't happen very often, especially these days, but I had one of those moments when I saw and heard this exceptionally talented young performer.

So I did a bit of research and found out that he released his debut album earlier this year and it went gold in his native Sweden.

He also appeared on this week's "Allsång pa Skansen" where he sang "Good Song" and "It's True". The latter could find a much wider audience as it's been remixed by Axwell and Sebastian Ingrosso for Europe's dancefloors this summer.

I will be reviewing his fabulous CD "This Is Who I Am" once I've had a chance to listen to all the tracks. So far my favourites are "Dream Girl", "Good Song" and "Count Me Out". His album is a very varied mix of soul, jazz and classic pop, and visually he is a very engaging performer.

Now I'm off to listen to "Good Song" for about the 50th time today.... :-))))



Here's Salem with "Mr Skansen" himself, Anders Lundin, at the rehearsals for this week's "Allsång". Must have been a sale of check shirts!!!!

No comments: