Sunday, March 02, 2008

It's Andy for the UK in May.

Former X-Factor finalist Andy Abraham will represent the United Kingdom at this year's Eurovision Song Contest with "Even If". Bit of a shock result if you ask me. Although he was clearly the best singer in the contest, the song was a bit forgettable, but at least it wasn't the frantic "Hey Ya!" ripoff handed to runner-up Michelle Gayle. OK I did enjoy LoveShy's "Mr Gorgeous" (but enough about that curly-haired backing dancer - you know what I feel about men with curly hair and I'd have voted this one all the way to Belgrade to see him again - major swooooooon). I also liked the quirkiness of ex-"Maria" finalist Simona Armstrong's "Changes" although her vocals were ropey in places. Ex-"Any Dream Will Do" finalist Rob McVeigh deserved a better song than "I Owe It All To You" whilst The Revelations were just too retro-Motown and tried far too hard.

All in all it was another lazy effort from Terry Wogan and the BBC, who would appear to have lost interest. Someone should point them in the direction of Sveriges Television, who could show them how a song contest should be done.

No comments: