Sunday, March 02, 2008

You want a piece of meat.

I am fascinated by misheard lyrics - you know, the ones where you think they're singing one thing and they are actually singing something else. My favourite one at the moment is from that Britney Spears song, in which I think she sings "you want a piece of meat" instead of "piece of me".

"What A Fool Believes" by the Doobie Brothers is one of my mum's all-time favourite songs and she always thought they were singing "the white man has a brother" when in fact it's "the wise man has the power".

There are even websites devoted to the misheard lyrics phenomenon, the most famous of these is at www.kissthisguy.com named after the misheard Jimi Hendrix lyric "scuse me while I kiss this guy"!

People of a certain age may remember the advert for Fudge bars with the "finger of fudge" song. I always thought they were singing "it's full of Cadbury goodness but very small indeed" which wasn't much of a recommendation for an advertising slogan :-)

No comments: