Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Brits: OK I did say they were foolish predictions!!

Haven't seen tonight's show yet - will watch it tomorrow, although I couldn't resist a sneak peek at the Pet Shop Boys' medley which closed the show.

Anyway here's who won:

British Male Solo Artist: Paul Weller
British Female Solo Artist: Duffy
British Group: Elbow
British Single: "The Promise" - Girls Aloud
British Album: "Rockferry" - Duffy
British Breakthrough Act: Duffy
British Live Act: Iron Maiden
International Male Solo Artist: Kanye West
International Female Solo Artist: Katy Perry
International Group: Kings of Leon
International Album: "Only By The Night" - Kings of Leon
Critics Choice Award: Florence and the Machine
Outstanding Contribution to Music: Pet Shop Boys

A strange mix of unit-shifters and the critically acclaimed.

3 awards for Duffy? Huh? Is it just me?
"The Promise" as best single? Now I've long been a GA fan but it's ironic that they should finally win a Brit with (IMHO) their worst single.
Still it's not all bad. Scouting For Girls won zilch.

Well done PSBs though. I've always loved them, all the way from the original version of "West End Girls" and it's time they got the recognition they deserve which is long, long overdue.

EDIT 19.02.08: I watched the show tonight and drew the following conclusions:

1. Apart from Russell Brand - love him or hate him, but he was brilliant the year he presented the show - there is always a foregone conclusion that the presenters will be rubbish. Two people from some sitcom called "Gavin and Stacey" which I haven't watched, but if it's as funny as these two were, then I wouldn't anticipate cracking a smile. In fact I decided that James Corden - the one who used to be on "Fat Friends" back in the day - is possibly one of the unfunniest people I've seen in years.

2. Live Acts - I was impressed with the fairly high calibre of the live performances on offer, particularly the aforementioned Pet Shop Boys end of show medley which featured guest vocals from the lovely Brandon Flowers and Lady GaGa.

Coldplay - as usual they gave it their all, but I wonder how they must have been feeling - knowing that they were (unfairly) going home empty-handed?

Kings of Leon were also excellent on "Use Somebody" - what brilliant vocals.

Take That - well they always put on a show, although I think you'd say 'that was so not a good look' :)

My aversion to the Ting Tings prevented me from sitting through their 'who thought of this?' collaboration with Estelle. (I wish Kanye had been there instead - but he wasn't. Have to say his acceptance speech was quite funny though).

U2 opened the show with "Get On Your Boots", which - shock horror - I actually quite like - but live, it left me cold, because they always do now.

3. Shock winners: Iron Maiden - Best Live Act! Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1982.
Elbow - Critics' favourites of the last year, but Best British Group? A lot of people have never heard of them. (I have, although I've never really investigated their music).

As usual, with the Brits you should always prepare for disappointment, because disappointment's what you're gonna get :(

No comments: