Thursday, November 18, 2010

The 2010-50: introduction and criteria

Welcome to the 4th annual EuropeCrazy countdown of my favourite songs of the year. Regular readers will know by now how it works - between now and Sunday 12th December I'll be counting down my 50 favourite tracks of 2010, 2 songs per day.

No changes to the selection criteria goes: all songs must have been commercially released either on physical or digital formats over the past year, so I sadly had to omit Måns Zelmerlöw's great version of "A View To A Kill" from this year's MF - Andra Chansen :( I'd love him to release that song sometime in the future!

As in previous years there may be that little grey area where one or two songs might have been released at the end of 2009 but only came to my attention this year, so they are in the 2010 chart.

There is of course one artist who has completely dominated my music world this year. But even I have to be ruthless when compiling this countdown, so it was with a heavy heart that I have to limit the number of his songs....let me tell you, that wasn't easy! And one more thing - as most of my music and radio listening over the past year has revolved around Sweden, then the chart also reflects that.

Over the past year or so, the music world has changed, and not for the better either. The British singles chart is now a pathetic joke, filled with autotuned "urban" rubbish, "grime" and talent show contestants. If this is how pop is now defined - not in my name it isn't! Happily there are still some much more agreeable definitions of pop music around, and I've tried to reflect this in my chart. Enjoy!

The 2010-50 starts...now!

4 comments:

Keira said...

Oh my, is it that time of year already?! Looking forward to your countdown though :)

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

Yep!!! :)))

Hope you enjoy it, although it is a bit on "automatic pilot" this year and dominated by certain Swedes (!) as I haven't heard as much other European music as usual. Next year I should get back on track though!

How's the job going and is everything ok at the moment? Nice to see you back in blogland too :)

Keira said...

Thanks, its good to be back :) I toyed with my blog for a little while, but I just dont spend as much time online as when I was a student...
The jobs going ok. Office gossip is getting me through the days. Constantly looking for other (more permanent) work though.
Will be visiting more often, I love reading your charts :) And then of course esc fever will start again :)

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

It's a challenge trying to juggle the 'real life' and blog stuff so I can understand if you're not online so often - but it's always lovely to hear from you and Rachel, as you're two of my best blogging pals and always will be!

Not long till ESC national finals season either. All the exciting speculation, followed by the inevitable disappointment....but we love it don't we :)) and thanks for the tip about Finnish Strictly Come Dancing by the way!