Saturday, January 17, 2009

Swedish Charts Update

A little look at this week's Sverige Topplistan singles chart...Lady GaGa's "Poker Face" is no. 1. Presumably not a tribute to that rubbish Ant & Dec game show. Of course over here in the UK we're the last ones to get "Just Dance" so "Poker Face" should probably reach our charts in about August or thereabouts.

It knocked Idol-winner Kevin Borg's "With Every Bit Of Me" from the top spot. I'm still not too keen on this "winner's song", it is rather predictable and has that deja-vu feeling about it.

Sahara Hotnights are back with "In Private" which is this week's highest new entry. It's a cover version of the old Dusty Springfield hit and they've managed to keep faithful to the song but give it their own style. I quite like this.

Good to have Mando Diao back too: "Dance With Somebody" is no.10. Catchy, quality guitar pop which they do effortlessly. I like it! Their new album "Give Me Fire" is out in February.

Unlike many of my fellow bloggers I've never understood the appeal of former Idol-winner Agnes but at least she's wisely ditched the big power ballads for catchy, uptempo out-and-out pop. "Release Me" is ok, not the worst I've heard, but I'm still not a fan.

Nina Persson's 'side-project' A Camp are no.13 with "Stronger Than Jesus". She is such an iconic figure in the Swedish music scene and is so distinctive that she could sing the phone book and make it sound good. This is more 'easy-listening' than the Cardigans, but I liked it on first listen. One of those songs which makes you sway from side to side (!)

I'm beginning to worry that "Curly Sue" will end up like an albatross around the neck of Takida, as it refuses to leave the singles chart after 58 weeks there - it's still no.27 - whilst follow-up "Handlake Village" is at no.16. I love the video for this song, which is filmed in the Swedish countryside.

I still believe that they could be one of the next big Swedish musical exports - the international market could be very receptive to their, how shall I describe it, 'Metallica-lite' style of music.

Elsewhere, the "Grammy-effect" has made its presence felt, with Anna Ternheim, Kleerup, Robyn and E.M.D. all entering the lower-end of the singles chart.

No comments: