Sunday, May 23, 2010

The EuropeCrazy Holiday Hit List: Bratislava 2010

Otherwise known as...the "spent too much time watching MTV Germany in my hotel room" playlist...!

The fact remains, I know as much about Slovakian music now as I did before I went away = nothing. I switched on the radio and it was full of those well-known Slovak artists like Cheryl Cole, Taio Cruz, Train, Beyonce, Lady Gaga...you get the picture. Didn't buy any CDs whilst I was away either, as I was unable to find a record shop within walking distance :(

So here is a list of songs which will remind me of my Bratislava trip. None of them from Slovakia.

Satellite - Lena Meyer-Landrut: Germany is clearly very proud of its Eurovision entry this year, judging by the amount of radio and TV airplay. By the end of the week it had become "our song" for this holiday, and even faithful travelling companion couldn't shake it off.

Alors On Danse - Stromae: the other anthem of our trip - think Louise Attaque meets the Guru Josh Project (!). It's conquering Europe right now, and you will surrender.

Der Himmel Soll Warten - Sido feat. Adel Tawil: The words "featuring Adel Tawil" will always be good enough for me. I really like this guy's voice, and this was prominent on MTV this week thanks to rapper Sido's "MTV Unplugged" show.

Gebt Uns Ruhig Die Schuld - Der Fantastischen Vier: a completely daft and bonkers video to go with a song which, again, got a bit stuck in my brain.

Wavin' Flag - K'naan: this one is clearly cashing in on World Cup mania and getting massive airplay. However, I noticed that this is just K'naan on his own - unlike the version targeted at the British market. Why do they feel the need to have "featuring Will.i.am" on everything? Does this man never take a day off?

Pop Goes The World - The Gossip: this one grew on me over the week. Funky and quite commercial.

Fur Immer - Unheilig: You could maybe describe this as 'Rammstein-lite' (which isn't a bad thing) and I liked this song after just one hearing. More uptempo than their debut hit, the brooding "Geboren Um Zu Leben".

No comments: