Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Catch-up week: the square-eyed couch potato

Been a while since I wrote about what I was watching on the box so with it being catch-up week it was a good time to...catch up!

"Harry Hill's TV Burp" (ITV1, Saturdays) is still, IMHO, the best thing on British television even if it has got a bit lazy of late: still, he is fantastic at this, and every show will always deliver an amazing visual gag or ten.

"The One And Only" (BBC1 Saturdays) has now ended what will probably be its (sorry) one and only run, as so few people ended up watching it that the show's title possibly described its viewing figures. Basically it was X-Factor for tribute acts: Madonna, Britney, Kylie, Diana Ross, Cher, Dusty Springfield, Tom Jones, Rod Stewart, Robbie Williams, Lionel Richie, Elton John, Frank Sinatra, with the winner getting a 3 month contract in an American tribute show. The most fascinating and controversial contestant was the ginger-haired white guy who transformed himself into Lionel Richie; but the eventual winner was Dusty Springfield. My mum (a Dusty superfan) was none too happy with this impersonator's efforts.

"Dancing On Ice" (ITV1 Sundays) continues to be the usual over-presented drivel. Every year I try to like it, but every year it ends up driving me round the bend. Chris Fountain and Gareth Gates are my favourites this year, particularly "Fearless Fountain" who is very confident and daring on the ice. Of course every year there is a judges' "chosen one" and this year it would be Suzanne Shaw, famous only for being in Hear'say and for dating Darren Day. I think the words "no comment" come to mind at this point.

"Ashes to Ashes" (BBC1 Thursdays) is probably going to disappear off my viewing radar now, as the most long awaited TV show of the year turned into a very damp squib. Basically it's a remake of "Life On Mars" only without the great John Simm, but with a female-in-a-coma and Gene Hunt and his colleagues all transported back to 1981. It's too 'knowing' and it tries just a bit too hard whereas "LOM" was constantly full of surprises.

BBC3 is a channel which I don't watch as regularly as I once did (when it was BBC Choice, in the days of the sadly-missed "Liquid News" with the equally sadly-missed Christopher Price who left us far too young). Anyway BBC3 has got a new look which meant there would be no more of the memorable and loveable Blobs who appeared in the station's fun idents. They may only have been animated plasticine, but they will always be the Blobs to me. Hankies at the ready, it's time to say goodbye to the Blobs at this link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/video/2008/jan/22/bbc32

I'm going to try and get more TV reviews on here a bit more regularly, although I don't watch as much as I used to...possibly cause I'm too busy doing this blog !! :-)))

No comments: