Sunday, December 16, 2007

2007-50: No.1: If you ever let me, I'll do my best to bring you up again

"Good Song" - Salem Al Fakir.

2007. A year full of dreary-pop, uninspiring r'n'b, tenth-rate guitar bands and dull singer-songwriters.

And then on 14.07.07, Salem came into my life. When I heard "Good Song" for the first time, I thought it was amazing. Catchy, full of singalong hooks, and musically both simple and complex at the same time. As with "Dream Girl", I love it as much now as when I first heard it. A timeless classic loaded with 70s retro influences, and a video which is equally great fun.

This is my favourite song of the year because it's uplifting and happy and always cheers me up, and musically it's a delight.

I've previously posted the link to these before but here they are again: the video for the song is at http://www.emi.se/artists/salem/tiwia/index.htm (follow the link to the "Good Song" video), but there is also a brilliant live performance from this summer's Allsång pa Skansen show, by which time I realised that he wasn't only a great singer and musician, but that I was in love with him too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tuE-lxrWwE

No comments: