Saturday, December 15, 2007

2007-50: No.4: It's as if I'm scared, it's as if I'm playing with fire

"Relax, Take It Easy" - Mika.

Put aside the fact that it is reminiscent of Cutting Crew's "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight" and just enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. It's my favourite Mika track, and the biggest mystery of 2007 was that we in the UK watched "Love Today"/"Big Girl"/"Happy Ending" get released one after the other with "Relax" overlooked, whilst our more fortunate continental neighbours didn't miss out.

2 comments:

Poster Girl said...

Didn't it get a kind of small-level promotional release in 2006 or something, one of those deliberately small, kind of hipster-targeted releases? Maybe that's why they held off on making it a "real" single. Completely agree, though--my favorite song from him, and it deserved to be a huge UK hit...seems kind of a waste.

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

I think you're right, it was some kind of limited release. It seems they're bringing it back out as a double a-side with "Lollipop", of course that will probably be the track that gets played the most. When I said a few days ago that sometimes I like Mika and sometimes he annoys me, well, "Lollipop" really annoys me!