Tuesday, December 07, 2010

The 2010-50 - No.11: On the run from the law, I'm looking worse for wear


"Stay Too Long" - Plan B.

Over the past 12 months I've ranted many, many times on this blog about the dire state of the UK top 40 - was it my imagination or was 2010 the worst year for chart music ever? - and the lack of decent new acts coming through. Happily we got one, though - Plan B.

I'll never forget the first time I heard "Stay Too Long" and I couldn't decide if I loved or hated it; because I loved the pulsating urgency of it, and the whole Northern Soul/mod vibe, but the rap irritated me. Along with everyone else I was about to discover the versatility of Ben Drew, the rapper-turned-soul singer. I liked "She Said" but it was played to death; I preferred this because it totally packed a punch and brought a much-needed breath of fresh air to the UK top 40.

Official video (parental guidance etc...lots of sweary words n' stuff): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wauIGhax9xg

Tomorrow night I'll start my top 10 countdown....

No comments: