Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The 2010-50 - No.3: And I keep telling my reflection, ambitions are already starting to fade

"Ambitions" - Donkeyboy.

Winner in this year's "best song not by Salem Al Fakir" category (previous winners 2007-2009 being "Inga Problem" by Snook; "Black and Gold" - Sam Sparro; "We Are The People" - Empire of the Sun).

A timeless and appealing pop song which got an incredibly large amount of airplay on Swedish radio yet I never grew sick and tired of it. During my Swedish trip back in March, I would also play it on my phone all the time, in-between radio airplay, along with "Bad Romance" and my infinite Salem playlist.
So you've guessed how much I love "Ambitions". Unfortunately, I live in a country which did not, and the original version received no airplay and failed to make any impact on the UK top 40. Fast forward a few months later, to find that last year's X Factor winner Joe McElderry had covered the song and released it as the first single from his debut album. (In typical Simon Cowell style, the title was even going to be changed to "Somebody" before they decided to keep it as "Ambitions"). However despite being a decent enough version of a brilliant song, even that wasn't enough to get it to no.1. Which probably sums up the taste of the British music-buying public in 2010....:(

Official video (if you're old enough to remember when they used to broadcast the disco-dancing championships on telly, then this will strike a chord): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQQUJlJZp_Y

No comments: