Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The 2010-50: No.39: Last night I said I was fine but I lied

"Million Pieces" - Tove Styrke.

In the great tradition of Swedish Idol, we have someone who didn't win, being spared having to record and rush-release a covers-album = goes on to make some decent music.

So step forward Tove Styrke, the latest in that long line. This was a very charming debut single, which was followed by a very well-received debut album which I haven't had the chance to check out yet, but that is definitely on my things to do list.

Interestingly, "Million Pieces" was co-written by Lykke Li, another critically acclaimed Swedish artist, and I'd describe Tove as a more 'accessible' version of Lykke, whilst having her own distinctive style, and I'm looking forward to hearing more from her. I read somewhere that the album will also be released in the UK in December (not sure if this is true and I can't remember the source) so she might become a big star here too!

Here's Tove performing the song live at Skansen this summer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4yutqxsrgU

No comments: