Saturday, September 13, 2008

Retro Saturday: Prince

OK folks - ready for a bit of the old Retro Saturday???

As you know I usually go for my more obscure favourites on a Saturday night but as I'm listening to a few of my favourite Prince tracks on iTunes tonight I thought I'd feature him as part of Retro Saturday.

Hard to believe it's almost 25 years since he took over our charts. To some, Prince was (and is) one of the greatest musical geniuses of recent times; to others he was just the "Purple Pain" but I just happen to think he made some brilliant records for a while.

"If the elevator tries to break you down....go crazy....punch a higher floor!" "Let's Go Crazy" came from the "Purple Rain" soundtrack, arguably one of the greatest pop soundtracks ever - and still sounds extraordinarily fresh today:
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/prince%2Blets%2Bgo%2Bcrazy/video/x3vx4e_lets-go-crazyprince-the-revolution_music

"My face is red....I stand corrected!" "U Got The Look" took the unlikely prospect of a duet with Sheena Easton - the original reality TV star - and turn it into something rather special. Amazing production on this as on all of his songs from that time. Ms Easton also managed to prolong her career - in the States anyway - off the back of this Prince collaboration:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7ag-lqSQuPc

Unfortunately for some reason it has become very difficult to find Prince videos on YouTube and DailyMotion so I'll just list some of my favourite Prince songs instead....

"1999"
"Little Red Corvette"
"I Would Die 4 U"
"Raspberry Beret"
"Mountains"
"Money Don't Matter 2 Night"
and so on....

No comments: