Tuesday, December 08, 2009

The 2009-50: No.12 - You got the keys right in your hand, open the locks and do your thing


"Speakerbox" - Signmark featuring Osmo Ikonen.

Firstly special thanks to Keira for this one: if you hadn't written about it on the wonderful, much-missed Tales From Turku then I probably would never have discovered my 12th favourite song of 2009.

On paper, this shouldn’t work: but it did. A sign-language Finnish rapper, teamed up with an extremely talented soul vocalist, competing to be Finland’s Eurovision entry. Inevitably it was one of the great "ones that got away" - although credit to eventual winner Waldo’s People for their 90s-revivalist dance - and went on to become one of those songs that I can't go too long without hearing. I'll be eagerly following Osmo's musical career from now on and will be cheering on his efforts in the 2010 Finnish national selection.

2 comments:

Keira said...

Thanks for the mention. I love this song still! We'll have to play it on the show one time.

Oh, and don't tell anyone but I'm applying for a masters course in Turku, which if I get in (fingers crossed) will see the rebirth of TFT. :)

Laura (EuropeCrazy) said...

Ta! You've got to play "Speakerbox" some time. By the way I'm still loving Sounds of Europe. Unfortunately missed a couple of shows in those weeks I wasn't feeling well but I try to catch it most weeks. Still a top quality show presented by (of course) my two favourite superstar DJs!!

Fingers and everything else crossed for Turku :))))