Thursday, September 06, 2007

The EuropeCrazy Holiday Hit List: Spring 2005

For the first time we went East - to Prague.
Where there’s a holiday there’s a record shop and it wasn’t long till we found Bonton Land, a big CD/DVD megastore where I bought a Now-type compilation of Czech pop.
Also whilst we were away I managed to catch a bit of "Cesko Hleda Superstar", the Czech version of Idol. In our hotel we had the delights of MTV Germany, which like all the other European MTV channels is much better than boring old MTV UK. But I digress.
My radio was permanently tuned to the Evropa 2 station, and here are some of the songs which they played regularly. Very regularly...
Boro Boro - Arash: Swedish, am I right?
Find A Way - J-Five: this makes me think of France, for some strange reason.
Suga Suga - Baby Bash: this one also reminds me of France, equally for some strange reason.
Sound of San Francisco - Global Deejays: legendary dancefloor tune still popular today.
Bad Day - Daniel Powter: one of the most enduring songs of recent years, and it was a hit everywhere else before the UK.
On My Head - Dan Barta: radio-friendly pop-rock from a Czech singer.
The Reason - Hoobastank: again one of the most popular songs in Europe that year, which didn’t really get the recognition it deserved in the UK.
Anything by Maroon 5, Anastacia or Gwen Stefani: the three international acts which at that time were possibly among the most popular in Europe.

No comments: